At least eight people have been killed while dozens remain buried in debris after a monstrous landslide struck China's Yunnan province on Monday.
According to China Central Television (CCTV), at least 47 people from 18 households were missing. Meanwhile, eight of the missing people had been found dead on Monday afternoon, according to Zhaotong Daily, a Chinese media outlet.
As rescue operations continued in snowy, freezing temperatures, the National Health Commission said that another two people were hospitalised for injuries to the head and body.
The landslide hit two villages in the southwestern city of Zhaotong at about 5:51 am (2151 GMT), covering houses in brown mountain soil at the foot of a hill, CCTV reported.
"The mountain just collapsed, dozens were buried," a man surnamed Gu, who witnessed the landslide, said adding that four of his relatives were buried under the rubble.
"They were all sleeping in their homes," he said.
Firefighters were climbing through the rubble searching for survivors in light snow, CCTV reported. It was not clear what had triggered the landslide, Reuters reported.
China dispatched nearly 1,000 rescue workers to the scene, along with nearly 200 rescue vehicles, the report said.
Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Guoqing was leading a workgroup to the site to guide rescue works.